Mission & Purpose Statement
The Yale Latino Alumni Network (‘YLAN’) is a global network of Yale University alumni supporting the LatinX community. In addition to the members who identify as LatinX, its members include alumni who came to Yale as international students from Latin American countries, and alumni who are interested in LatinX affairs.
Formed in 2018, YLAN is a volunteer-run, membership-based organization that provides a vehicle for the YAA to promote the civic participation, leadership, and service of LatinX alumni, as well as a forum to promote the interaction of member Alumni with current Yale students.
We seek to connect, inspire, and energize Yale LatinX alumni, nationally and internationally, by strengthening ties to the University, by creating programming of interest, by fostering deeper socio-cultural ties between our various constituencies, and by providing a platform for addressing the vital issues affecting LatinX communities —thus bringing Yale’s mission of leadership and service to the world stage.
We pursue our global mission by developing programs on- and off-campus, and by promoting initiatives that gather our members’ collective strengths to engage the challenges facing the LatinX population. Our programming fosters dialogue about significant national and international events, including the environment, education, culture, industry, professional development, politics, health, and other fields of interest.
As an organization, our purpose is to:
• support the inclusion of all LatinX communities to create a pan-Hispanic organization that fosters a global LatinX network.
• support the expression of diverse backgrounds and views to broaden our perspectives and enhance creativity.
• prioritize the professional development of our community through programming that addresses career development at every stage of our professional lives.
• create and/or find internships for current students to enhance their skills and their capacity to contribute at Yale and beyond.
• create initiatives, such as fellowships, scholarships, and prizes to increase the ability to current LatinX students to participate in academic opportunities here and abroad.
• promote volunteerism at Yale and within local LatinX communities.
• strengthen ties with other Yale LatinX groups, including the LatinX faculty and LatinX staff.
• advocate for more comprehensive LatinX academic programming at Yale.